Pages

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Aquilegia (and a new veg patch!)

My flower-border has finally got some colour in it - hooray!


The colour comes courtesy of my granny-bonnets - or aquilegia to give them their proper name - and my wildly out-of-control weigela.



If you're looking for a low-maintenance yet colourful garden, you couldn't really do much better than granny-bonnets.  They self-seed like the clappers, are virtually unkillable, and don't really need anything doing to them.  They also come in a massive variety of colours, shapes and sizes (do a Google image search) and are great fun because they don't come back "true" i.e. the flowers change from year on year.

I started off with some purple and white double-flowered ones from a large DIY store.


This year I've got purple pom-poms...


...purple and white pom poms...


...magenta and white double-flowered ones...


...and magenta double-flowered ones. 


Dad gave me some aquilegia seeds a few months ago, and I scattered those in the gap behind buddleia earlier - I'll see if I get any pale-pink ones like his this year.

And...I'm getting a new veg patch too!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Love the granny-bonnets tip AND the name - thankyou! Your garden is just gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete