Pages

Sunday 3 June 2012

Garden Update (Courgette Rescue)

In spite of the fact that it is cold, grey and utterly unappealing outside, I ventured out for a couple of hours this morning to do a few jobs in the garden.  Alastair was in his shed, and the cat was supervising from on high (after the birds!).


My first job was a courgette rescue.  This courgette is one of Mum and Dad's, and has been basking happily in the cold frame waiting to be taken down to Thoroton.


This courgette is one of mine, and has been shivering mournfully in the deep shade of my pointy veg patch for the past two weeks.


Here they are side by side.


My courgettes have been potted up and put in the cold-frame for some intensive care.  Poor little things.  I'm not sure anything will grow in the pointy veg bed, although 'tates flourished last year, but Dad reckoned peas should be alright, so I put a row in.  We shall see how they do!

In other news, the slugs have been busy.  They've been feasting on my cauliflowers, and they have eaten all the new little dahlia shoots leaving only tiny stumps behind (too depressing to photograph).


We have fought back with beer traps (we've just got to buy the beer now).


My geraniums are doing well though (if a bit leggy), and have just graduated to the cold-frame.


Time to get more seeds growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment