Pages

Sunday 10 June 2012

Sunday Lunch Part 2

I made a gorgeous chicken pie for lunch today.  When I'd finished making it I had some puff pastry left over, and some rhubarb in the fridge which was on sale for 30p in the supermarket on Friday night (it would have been rude not to).  A plan began to develop...a quick consult of The Book and I was ready.

I rolled my left-over puff pastry into a rectangle (sort of)...


...and topped it with breadcrumbs. 


This tip was taken from a recipe similar to what I wanted to make in The Book, and I presume it's to soak up excess liquid from the filling. 

I went free-range with the filling.  The reduced rhubarb wasn't nice and young and tender like King Rhubarb's shoots, so I peeled it and boiled it up in a saucepan with chopped crystallised stem ginger and plenty of brown sugar to make it sweet (and more healthy, tee hee). 


It boiled into a satisfying mush very quickly (only a low heat required).


Rhubarb produces a lot of liquid, so I sieved the mush and kept the juice to use as a sauce when I served my creation.  I spread the mush on top of the breadcrumbs...


...and rolled the whole lot up into a big sausage.


I was curious to see how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment